Ah Poop

Yesterday I wasn't feeling well all day long. I took a couple of advil and that helped for a while. Diana called me on the way home to tell me Emily had gotten RED chapstick all over the nice couch. I wasn't pleased. When I got home I still felt kinda queasy and so I laid down for a bit. Diana went downstairs to get something, when she got to the bottom of the stairs, the carpet squished.

Apparently the drain in the floor of the basement had backed up from the sewer. So, at 7:30 pm I was downstairs trying to find out the problem. Luckily, it appeared that only water (no smell) had backed up into the basement in large quantity, but sewer water was now coming in.

Using a combination of wet-dry vacuums, plungers, and garbage cans, I managed to get it to "drain level", but no further. So, at 8:30pm I called rescue rooter, and they said they would send a tech out within a couple of hours. Of course, he was delayed, and finally at 1:00 am, he showed up. Of course, by then, the water/waste had had time to settle, so I had to go around the house flushing toilets, leaving sinks, tubs etc on to fill the line back up. Needless to say, it required running up and down the stairs 5-10 times and making a decent amount of noise. Luckily the girls stayed asleep.

Finally, at 2:00 am, 1 hour and $300 dollars later, the clog was removed and he left. Then I took a shower and went to bed. I woke up and went downstairs to clean up the "leftover" with bleach, then took a shower again to go to work. Diana made a Dr.'s appointment for me and told me I had to stay home from work to go to it and see why I have been wheezing for a couple of days.

So, I went back downstairs and finished cleaning up the mess, then cleaned and scrubbed all the vacuums, plungers, garbage cans, etc. with bleach and showered yet again (if you are counting, thats #3 within 6 hours) so I could go to the doctor.

The doctor basically said, I just needed some Robitussin (Diana thought I had spinal meningitis) and to drink fluids and get some rest. Next, I went to Home Depot to get a cap for the outside sewer pipe (apparently some rocks/debris had fallen in from the outside.) and put that on when I got home.

Then I laid down for a few minutes and got bored, got back up and did some laundry, cleaned a bit, and then plopped down on the couch.

HOPEFULLY, this is the last time I have to worry about something like this. Even after 3 showers, I just don't feel I can ever be clean enough again!

Comments